Inspired by Suvi's academic Shakespeare post, I decided to write a very non-academic but a very fangirly Star Trek: The Original Series (TOS) post. I've watched season 1 and I'm well into season 2. This is what I think of it so far.
Seeing as this post got a bit longer than intended, I'm going to be nice and give you a highly detailed and academic index. Now you can't say that I've learned nothing in the university.
This of course still doesn't mean that you can just skip to a part that sounds interesting. But don't worry, there's lots of pictures on the way.
Now don't be like that Spock. It's party time!
Index
1.General Ramblings
2.Certain Members Of The Crew
2.1. Captain James T. Kirk
2.1.2. Captain Kirk's Butt
2.1.3. Captain Kirk's Eyes
2.1.4. Captain Kirk's Smile
2.2. Spock
2.2.1. Spock's Eyebrows
2.3. Nyota Uhura
2.4. Doctor McCoy
3.Random Observations
3.1. Kirk's Women
3.2. Do Not Wear Red
3.3. The Transporter Is Easily Confused By Lightning Storms
3.4. Guns or Phasers
3.5. The Crew
4.Kirk/Spock
1. General Ramblings
I didn't really expect to fall in love with TOS but yet I did, and boy was it a fast ride. I was prepared for lolz, not to have my heart robbed. ST was made in the sixties and the budget – so I understand – wasn't too big. Most of the time I can unsee the downright laughable special effects and aliens that usually look very much like humans. Some episodes are so bad that watching them was like eating needles but there is some real pearls too. Episodes like “The City on the Edge of Forever”, “Amok Time” and “Shore Leave” bring out the best qualities of this show. It is funny, witty, exiting, dramatic and serious. It even deals with pretty interesting problems. Or what do you think of a war fought solely by computer simulation but the casualties are supposed to be real? Would you voluntarily walk down to the gas chamber when the computer tells you that the part of the city where you live has been bombed? And this had been going on for, oh, about 500 years with both parties HAPPY about the situation. After all, humans can reproduce but buildings and culture cannot. Or is it right to free people who have been controlled by some machine for as long as they remember by destroying the evil computer and then leaving the confused but undeniably free people to sort out little things like society? I wonder how well they'll be doing in a few years time...
On the other hand, Star Trek can be old fashioned, sexists and so silly you feel like hitting your head to the nearest brick wall. Apparently in the future, women are still not allowed to do anything useful or dangerous or fun. The can run around the ship and ask the captain to sign this and that report or fall in love with the wrong man and put the whole ship in danger. Then it's up to the menfolk to make the woman see the error in her ways and save the day. Most of the time everything is black or white; the bad guys are bad and the good guys are good. The line is very rarely blurred.
On a whole, Star Trek never fails to put a smile on my face and that alone is a huge achievement. It makes me believe in friendship that can last forever and endure anything. It shows that such a friendship is worth fighting for and even if you get hurt it will be worth it in the end. The fact that it also provides eye candy and slash fodder is just a nice bonus. ;D
LOL, Gangsta.
What do you mean I can't keep them?
Nice when the neighbors are so quiet.
2. Certain Members Of The Crew
2.1. Captain James T. Kirk
The Captain. Not my usual type but I'm not going to argue; I'd hit that. What else.. Oh, yes. I don't understand people who say that William Shatner's acting is “corny” or “wooden”. I think he's absolutely brilliant and I love the Kirk he plays. Kirk trusts his crew but he also trusts himself and isn't afraid to make difficult decisions. In short, he's the type of a leader I would happily follow, and that's saying a lot. And it doesn't hurt that he manages to loose his shirt in almost every fight he has. He has them about 2,5 per episode. Oh yeeesss...
Fighting with Vulcans is dangerous for your shirt.
Relaxing shore leave? Yeah, that's what it looks like.
2.1.1. Captain Kirk's butt
“Oh my god, that's some fine piece of ass” was pretty much what went on in my head after seeing Kirk's behind for the first time. And if I'm honest, every single time after the first time too. I've had to rewind some part just because I wasn't paying any attention to what was being said and therefore had no idea why there suddenly was red alert on all decks. Oh, the ship's under attack? I'm sorry, I wasn't listening, just admiring the way those tight black regulation pants mold around those globes... *is distracted*
Just ignore the Gorn (aka the worst alien ever), okay?
2.1.2. Captain Kirk's eyes
His ass is fabulous and his eyes are just about the prettiest things ever. Lovely hazel color and the way they light up (when he's talking to Spock) or darken if he's angry or worried (about Spock).
2.1.3. Captain Kirk's smile
Why yes, I do have a thing for Mr. Kirk. I love his smile. I love his playful smirk. I love his cruel I-gonna-blast-you-bastards-into-atoms- smirk. I'm pretty sure that mouth could do some pretty incredible things elsewhere too if it can curve up that prettily...
2.2. Spock
My favorite Vulcan science officer. It's the combination of dry humor, logic and lean frame that gets me, but mostly it the ears. One picture is worth a thousand words (and yes, I could but I wouldn't post it here. Or anywhere).
*nibble*
2.2.1. Spock's eyebrows
Ah, our lovely Vulcan science officer and his eyebrows! The way that one eyebrow can convey an entire conversation is purely astonishing (and adorable as fuck). I want to lick it. I bet Kirk gets to. Life's unfair.
"That's what she said."
2.3. Nyota Uhura aka lieutenant and chief communications officer
Uhura is one fierce and sexy bitch and I wish the sixties television politics had allowed her a bigger role, because she totally would have pulled it off. The only times I wish she would shut the fuck up is when she sings (slightly off key). Especially if the singing is accompanied by dance moves. Just no, really. No. You're a lieutenant so please act like one. But I love they way she stands up to herself and lets the captain know when he's being an idiot. She also kicks ass (literally) in the “Mirror, Mirror” episode where they end up in a parallel universe.
Fierce.
Smoldering.
2.4. Doctor McCoy aka Bones
Our lovely and grumpy “simple country doctor” is just what the Enterprise needs. Usually he has to remind the others that he is, in fact, a doctor not (insert any other profession from psychiatrist to brick layer or from escalator to engineer) anything else. He's got a quick temper and he often clashes with Spock's cold logic. And that Southern accent can melt anything. My panties included. Guh.
"Be careful."
"Sound medical advice!"
- McCoy and Kirk
Bones, you dirty old dog, you!
3. Random Observations
3.1. Kirk's women
The captain is quite a ladies man and I can say only one thing about his taste in women. It's bad. But worry not, this picture pretty much sums it up.
She was pretty cool (and really pretty, gotta love that soft focus)so of course she was killed. It was her or let the Nazis rule the world. An easy choice actually.
Nice Kirk. Too bad she's a crazy murderer. Off with her head.
Actually, the only time (so far) that I liked Kirk's girl was in the “Mirror, Mirror” episode where the mirror!Kirk's girl was a hot brunette with brains and the ability to use them. Yes, she was left behind. Why did you even ask?
She's hot. Keep her! Keep her!
3.2. Do Not Wear Red
Yes. If you're a nameless ensign dressed in red and you're beaming down to a strange planet don't expect to beam back up. A good example of this is the episode “The Apple” in which every single of the red shirted security team members died. Wuups.
3.3. The Transporter Is Easily Confused By Lightning Storms
Sure, because there is so much clouds in the space. This excuse is getting a bit boring. The communications are also cut off almost every time there's a storm. Come on people, you have space travel and food processors and what not but you can't make radios work?
Transporter trouble lands the landing party to a parallel universe. But I must say I love the mirror!outfits.
3.4. Guns or Phasers
If you have guns, or phasers in this case, running around with them in your hand is not going to help if you're in a jungle and the danger you're trying to protect yourself is a poisonous plant. I wonder why no one ever accidentally shoots themselves when they are running around.
Do you mind watching where you point those things?
3.5. The Crew
There's 430 people on the U.S.S Enterprise. No matter how many of those unfortunate red shirted souls pass away, the number stays the same. Where do you get more people and when?! It's driving me nuts!
4. Kirk/Spock – The Original Slash Pairing?
In my mind Kirk and Spock are best friends. It's clear that they love each other (yes, really, you'd have to be blind, deft, mute and astronomically stupid in order not to see it) but whether sex is involved or not, is up to discussion. And I wont start it here because this post is already long enough.
Domestic bliss <3
We'll find some way of explaining your ears, don't worry!
Inside joke. Bones is not amused.
Alien jail. What can I say? XD
So, did anyone make it this far? x) If you did, thanks for reading, and if you didn't, well, don't expect me to send you a Christmas card this year. ;P
Pics found in awesome places like this and this.
2 comments:
Nooo ei saa postata mitään alien jail kuvia, mulla on ongelmia jo muutenkin!
Toi sisällysluettelo on paras asia ikinä X) Ja tää postaus tulee hyvänä kakkosena On surullista että mun fanityttöilypostaukseni koskee jotain Shakespearea ja sun Star Trekiä... Siis surullista siinä on se että mä olisin kanssa halunnut hehkuttaa jotain hienoa fandomia, mutta blogia lukee liian moni sukulainen ;__; Ja hemmetti, Uhura on nätti.
Joo oli kivaa lukea ja korvat eivät olisi voineet olla enemmän arvattavissa. Saa nähdä jaksanko (kuinka pian jaksan) alkaa katsoa tätä, kun vanha DW:kin olis vielä työn alla.
Now gimme a Christmas card, bitch <3
Mä en ole vielä nähnyt jaksoa, jossa on hieno alien jail, joten luvassa saattaa olla lisää kuvia, kunhan saan screencapsejä aikaiseksi. >D
Kiva että sisällysluettelo miellyttää. Blogger vaan sössi sen jotenkin oudosti (se oli porrastettu ihan oikeaoppisesti x) eikä suostunut tekemään asialle mitään. Oh well.
Joo, mietin vähän että voinko mutta sitten totesin, että olen jo panostanut tähän enemmän kuin moniin esseisiin yliopistossa (fail..? x) joten varmana postaan. XD Ja Uhura on ihan uskomattoman hot ja sitten uudessa leffassa ihan bläägh. x(
Joo, joo. Saat joulukortin. Käykö joku ST-aiheinen? :3
Post a Comment